Bee venom is used by medical people today, very cautiously. This is probably because it is classified as a poison. Although the sting of a bee seems mild compared to that of a rattlesnake, it is still a poison being injected into the body.
The way bee venom is used therapeutically, is to give controlled and repeated injections of the venom under the skin. The purpose of this kind of treatment is to allow the immune system to build up resistance to a severe reaction to the real sting of a bee.
This is probably the condition that is most likely to respond well to the treatment. The most severe reaction to this treatment is likely to be redness and swelling at the injection site. This is, of course, when the therapy is done by a trained medical professional.
Less frequently, patients will have other symptoms. These could range from mild to serious. One person may experience mild itching, while another may faint from a drop in blood pressure.
Bee venom injections have been used for rheumatoid arthritis, neuralgia and multiple sclerosis. There is no clear evidence, at this time, that they offer a great amount of help,
The treatment has also been tried for nerve pain and tendonitis. It is not to say that some people have not seen positive results from the treatment. There is just not enough solid evidence to pronounce bee venom as a cure for these afflictions. Also, there is some evidence showing the bee venom treatment may increase the symptoms of auto immune disease.
Another caution is the interaction of bee venom with certain medications. If a patient is relying on prescription drugs, the effectiveness of those drugs, may be decreased.More evidence concerning bee venom will, no doubt, appear in the future. For now, it looks as if other treatments may offer a more positive outcome.